Zandi's musings.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Captain Claw and Private Woof

There is a dog in the yard. I saw it through the window. How did it get there? I asked my parents but they did not know. I am a bit worried, because my cat, Captain Claw is out in the garden as well. I know that dogs do not like cats, but I do not know why.

I decided to go out, and ask the dog what he wants. But when I asked the dog, he did not reply, he just hit his tail on the ground and looked at me. I don’t know why, but his eyes are very sad and I feel sorry for the dog. I could not see Captain Claw anywhere, but that was not unusual. Usually I only see him after he jumps on me. He likes jumping on people and my father often says he is a catastrophe, but I do not think he means it, because he laughs every time he says it.

The dog still looks sad and I do not know what to do, so I decide to give him some food. For some reason he does not like the food. I show him the can, and the picture of the cat on the can, but he still does not eat it. Perhaps dogs do not like how cats taste and that is why they fight. I will ask my father later.

The tree suddenly shakes, and Captain Claw jumps out. I get ready to feel the claws, but the cat has other ideas. He lands right on the dog and rolls him over. The dog makes a very funny whine, just like when mommy sees a dead mouse that Captain Claw brings in. Then he jumps up and runs under the bush. I can only see his sad eyes in the bush, and for some reason that makes me sad as well.

Captain claw looks very happy that he scared the poor dog and I show him my tongue. He does not seem to care and I give him a dirty look as well. I don’t know what to do with the dog and I decide to get him out. “Woof,” I say, “Woof, woof”, I remember that is how dogs speak from the stories my mum reads to me. But again, the dog does not respond.

I do the only other thing I can remember, and lie down on the floor and extend my hand towards the dog. Nothing happens at first and my hand becomes tired. But then the dog slowly comes out of the bush and walks closer. He has a funny walk. Captain Claw walks like he is a tank, while the dog walks like my grandmother. Head down, ears to the floor, moving slowly.

When he finally gets to me, he slowly licks my hand. That makes me laugh and my laughter makes him stop. I give him a pat on the head and he seems happier already. So I give him one more. Soon we are both happy. And then Captain Claw comes by and for a change does not jump on anyone. I think he wants a pat as well, so I give him one too. Soon we are all happy.

I know I now have a hard task in front of me. When mum and dad come home from work in the evening, I have to tell them that we have a new dog. But I have to tell them so they will think it was their idea. I also have to come up with a name for the dog. Shouting “dog” does not seem to work all the time.

I spend a few more minutes playing with the two furry animals, and think of a perfect name. “You are now known as Private Woof”, I tell the dog. He seems very impressed and his eyes are less sad. We continue playing in the sunny garden.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger trepca said...

Nice story, reminds me of "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night".

14 July, 2010 14:25  

Post a Comment

<< Home